This is a small village with an interesting history situated among the South Shropshire Hills. There is wonderful walking on the Hope Bowdler Hills along footpaths you can follow in complete tranquillity. A favourite walk is to the village of Cardington with its 15th Century Inn where you can stop for real ale and home cooked food using local recipes.
The market town of Church Stretton nestles in the heart of South Shropshire Hills. A good shopping place with a variety of small shops, café and pubs. From here it is possible to walk up onto the Long Mynd or meander up the Carding Mill Valley. A huge variety of long or short walks, with the chance to see lots of wildlife, start from here.
The country town to the north is famous for its medieval buildings and shut (pedestrian passageway). The river, with riverside walks, almost circles the town, which has good shopping facilities, museums and a castle.
The ruins of its castle dominate Ludlow, a medieval market town to the south, but you will have to search for the impressive church that seems to hide once you are in town.
Add a good market and a collection of antique shops and you’ve got a recipe for a great day out. Use the car if you must or catch the train from Church Stretton.
Activities Around Us
- Midland Gliding Club Church Stretton
- The Edge Adventure Activities Much Wenlock (Clay Pigeon Shooting, Archery, Climbing wall)
- Shropshire Raft Tours Ironbridge
- Acton Scott Historic Working Farm
- Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre Craven Arms
- Ironbridge Tollhouse and Gorge Museum, Blists Hill Victorian Town
- RAF Cosford Air Force Museum
- Stokesay Castle
- Ludlow Castle
- Powis Castle
- Bridgnorth Cliff Railway
- Shrewsbury Cathedral
- Sabrina Boat Trips River Severn Shrewsbury